Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Obedience To God

   I remember as kids my parents would take us camping every year. It was a big thing for my family. It was a very memorable time for all of us. When we grew up we continues on with this trip with our children. I remember the one time my sister had brought her 3 year old daughter along with us. We decided to go and take a walk down to the water after setting up the tents. As I was enjoying the view of the water and idle chit chat with a few friends that we had made over the years. My niece had decided she wanted to play in the water. she yelled to me, "Auntie can I go in the water?" My response was, "Yes, but make sure you don't get your clothes wet." She was wearing shorts, so I thought it would be ok for her to walk through the water... she would  be okay to play. I continued to talk to my friends and at the same time keep an eye on her to make sure she was safe. In a few minutes I turned my head to check on her. There standing before me in the water, was my beautiful little niece, not a stitch of clothing on. Totally naked!  She was definitely making sure she was not going to get her clothes wet.
    I could feel my face getting hotter and I just knew that I was going to die. I am sure my face was quite red. What was she thinking??? I ran quickly to her and scooped her up rather. Could anything be more embarrassing I thought. She had just stripped down to nothing and in front of my teenage friends too. I would be the disgrace of the camp grounds.With what dignity I had left. I got her out of the water and got her dressed.  I rushed her straight up that hill to return her to her mother.
Later on that night I lay in my tent thinking about it. I started to laugh. Maybe it was not as bad as I had thought. My niece loved me enough to actually want to obey me. In the end that is why she took her clothes off. She did not do it to embarrass me. She did not do it in spite or just to be funny. It was the sweet innocent and sincere actions of a child.
    I think of this every time I think of my love for God. As a child of I should be obedient to God. How careful am I about obedience? Do I think carefully about my actions to totally and diligent obey God’s word? Or am I sometimes careless?
    God tells us not to do certain things, but does give permission in other areas. He does this for two positive reasons, to protect us and to provide a good future for us. Obedience in how we live occurs within the bounds of God’s love.

Jesus says, "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His Love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full" John 15:9-11

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rose, Thank-you for making me aware of your blog. You write beautifully! You are a real blessing and encouragement.Keep it up! You never know who you might touch and what joy you might bring to someones day.
Love Donna
p.s Hope your arm is feeling better.