Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Job Well Done

     I was sitting on the couch enjoying my last few minutes of quietness. My day had been full of many chores and tasks. I peeled the potatoes and got the cabbage on the stove. I could smell the chicken in the oven. I had done a job well done. Dishes were done. Everything was perfect. As I took the last sip of my tea I thought. “This was my reward for a job well done.”


     My reward came to a quick end. The front door swung open and there stood my youngest with the biggest smile on her face. She blurted out something but so fast I could not understand a word. “Honey just breath I said.” She looked at me and slowly took a deep breath. “Sorry mommy I ran all the way from school today. There is something I really have to show you.” She then reached into her pocket and took out a bright orange ribbon. LOOK, LOOK she replied I got a ribbon today. The ribbon had gold writing on it with the school’s name. Underneath were the words “GOOD WORK” also in gold. That is awesome honey. What is it for? She continued to tell me that it was for the most improved student of the month. Once a month her school has an awards ceremony and they reward the kids for a job well done. She had been trying so hard to get this award. Finally her hard work had paid off. Then she said to me. ” Mommy I know I can do better though. I know I can get the most improved award at the end of the year. If I do my name gets put on a plaque and I will be so excited mommy. I can do it I know I can. I am going to reach for the gold.” I smiled at her and gave her a hug to tell her I was so proud of her for doing her best.

     What is more satisfying than being complimented or rewarded for something that you have done, and done it well. Many times we seek the compliment or the reward behind something. Do those compliments really mean anything? There are many people out there that do many good things but are their intents pure? Why do you do the things you do? Do you do it to help that person? Do you do these things to honor God? Do you do them to reach out to people and to show them God’s love? Or do you do them so the people around you can see just how terrific you are?

Mathew 6:1 says
“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do you will have no reward from your heavenly father in heaven.”

     In the end the only thing that matters is what God thinks. I do things because I feel God leading me to do them. I know that we are not always perfect and sometimes a compliment is nice. My daughter wanted a compliment from her parent when she came home. I think that it will be like this one day when I go home to see my heavenly father face to face. I want his acknowledgment. I want his compliments. His hug to say he is proud of me. I find that when I am in Gods will I can do anything and it does not matter what the outcome is, because in the end my reward will be in heaven. In the end God will have a big rewards ceremony and I will be waiting for my name to be called with the words “Well done, thy good and faithful servant.” Just like my youngest I want the bigger reward and I want to reach for the gold. We all will be held accountable for our works here on earth. Will you receive your rewards here on earth or in heaven?

No comments: