Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Forgiveness

When you think of forgiveness, What comes to mind? What do you really think?

Ephesians 4:32 says,
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

So when you think forgiveness, do you think of a situation that has happened in your life? Maybe you are thinking.. Rose you have no idea. I had this done to me, that is just unforgivable… Jesus was whipped, he was kicked and beaten then nailed to a cross. He had a sword pierce his side. He was ridiculed and tortured. Yet one of the last things on his mind was the people that were doing this to him. He had compassion on them and said "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." To love and to forgive like Jesus. That is what God asks of us. Not all of you know me or my past. I am a survivor of abuse. I did not always have the best in life. But I can say, "I forgive you".

How can that be possible you may ask? I could have decided to hurt that person right back. I mean after all was my right, they hurt me first. No I forgave them….I forgive because God forgave me. He makes it possible. Without him, I could never say I forgive you. Without him, I would be a pile of rubble. Bitter and full of hatred for these people that hurt me. I am not and it all because of God.

Have you ever herd the saying "Forgive and Forget" ??? This is far from the truth… Forgiveness is not a feeling; nor is it forgetting. It is not pretending that it never happened. It is not being able to trust that person again. It is not even reconciliation with that person. Forgiveness is something you decide to do because you want to obey God.

No one can make you forgive that person. Not even God himself can make you forgive that person. Forgiveness is a choice we have. We can chose to hang on to it and let is eat us away or we can let go and let God. It is not our job for revenge. Revenge is God’s job.

The bible is straightforward that no one should avenge himself on others.
Romans 12 :9
Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

God has reserved vengeance for himself. I forgave those people that hurt me because God forgave me for the hurts that I caused him through my sins. In the end forgiveness protects the forgiver themselves. When we forgive others, it cancels the debt like Jesus canceled our debt when he died on the cross. God says, " I will do all the punishing. Now your job is to forgive." Forgiveness is not something that happens over night. It is a process. It takes time to heal. However it is an act of faith that shows God’s grace for us. When we forgive it gives God access to work directly on that other person. When we refuse to forgive, it creates a barrier between us and God. I am saying to God that what the person did to me is more important then him. I know I have totally forgiven that person when I can pray for them. Not for harm but for good. I also know I have forgiven that person when God can use me to touch the person that has wronged me. When my decisions are not controlled by what that person has done to me, and when I am free from the pain, bitterness, anger and hatred towards that person. When I am experiencing God’s peace, I know I have truly forgiven.

If you noticed when I said I was a survivor or abuse not a victim of abuse. I say this because I am no longer living in that bondage and hurt and pain. I have totally forgiven my abusers. I have given them over to God. And I can honestly say that God is the reason for me being a survivor. He has taken me from that hurt and bitter person and made me a person with confidence and peace. He has also gave me a heart of love for those that hurt me and he can do it for you too.

Maybe you need to forgive someone, Is your lack of forgiveness holding you back from what God wants for you? Ask God to show you, and for the desires to forgive also. He will give you the ability and strength to do so. All you have to do is hand it over to him.



No comments: